The Read School has the following vacancies as listed below:
Required for January 2019 – Part time (0.4) Maths Teacher to teach through KS3, 4 and A level.
- Class sizes in Maths at Read School average around 12 so expectations are high for pupils to make great progress.
- Read School is small and non-selective and pupils’ attainment is varied and that makes the teaching of maths interesting and exciting. Pupils age from 3 to 18 and this leads to a whole education community
- You will be expected to prepare and deliver lessons to challenge the higher attainers, support the lower attainers and make maths enjoyable and challenging for all pupils.
- In years 7 to 11, pupils are split into two attainment groups of size around 10 to 12. Pupils make excellent progress and in 2017-18 Year 11 pupils attained on average 1 grade above their statistical predictions, with 95% attaining grade 4 or above.
- A level Maths is popular in the sixth form and so is Further Maths, with pupils attaining up to grade A in recent years.
- Lessons run from 8:45am to 3:50pm with after school activities from 4:05pm to 4:50pm. Staff are expected to deliver activities on two sessions and also to support the boarding side of the school at weekends on two days per term.
- Degree in mathematics
- Teaching qualification
- Able to teach up to A level
- Commitment to making maths challenging and enjoyable
- Determination for pupils to make the best progress possible
- Willingness to participate in the life of the school, supporting extra curricular activities and the boarding section of school
The interview day could involve
- Tour round school
- Half hour lesson teaching the introduction to a topic to lower sixth (then time to get feedback from pupils)
- Another half hour lesson teaching a KS3 class (then time to get feedback from pupils)
- Half hour interview with pupils (Y7, 9, 11, 12)
- Maths interview with HOD and another colleague
- Formal interview with Head